Monday, May 1, 2017

BOOK REVIEW: The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott

The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliot

I've had this book in my TBR pile for quite some time. I don't recall where I got the name or how it was recommended to me.

The Little Prisoner is a very disturbing (true story) tale of one woman's years of abuse at the hand of her stepfather. While I've read plenty of books about abuse this one was really disturbing as not only did she suffer sexual abuse but severe mental abuse as well. Her telling of her story does a really good job of showing people why someone who has come of age still ends up continuing to get abused. I feel like a lot of people who haven't been abused in their life wonder why... why didn't she turn him in, why did she continue to let him abuse her in the way he was. This also acts as a tale of strength as she endures this abuse and how she rises above. Despite the book being hard to read (difficult subject matter) it was excellently written.

PSA:If you were abused as a child, sexually or mentally, than this book may trigger some bad feelings for you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment