Monday, July 18, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E Frankl

Man's Search for Meaning (an Introduction to Logotherapy) by Viktor E. Frankl


The current Pokemon craze landed me at the library last Saturday. Not only to catch some Pokemon I didn't already have but also to check out the local library as I hadn't done so yet since moving here. I carry a list around with me of books I'd like to read in case I ever find my self at a sale. I don't remember where I came across this book and decided to add it to my "books to read" list but our little local library in Princeton Minnesota had it!

Man's Search for Meaning is a memoir of Psychiatrist Viktor E Frankl's time in a Nazi death camp between the years 1942 and 1945. In this book, he doesn't go into great detail of what happened to him but instead talks about the psychology of it all. He writes "suffering is inevitable and that avoiding suffering is futile." So in other words one should make meaning of their suffering instead of surrendering to it. Frankl walks you through each step of the psyche while being in a concentration camp and what your thoughts in turn meant for you at that time.

While this book is of the depressing nature, Frankl is very inspirational.  He was able to find meaning to every aspect of the horrid things he endured while in Auschwitz and other concentration camps he was a prisoner in.

I was hoping that this book would be more of a memoir than it was so I was a little disappointed in that fact. This would have been a good book to read for a psychology class in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment